outbrain
Close  

‘Wala pa ‘yang pera na ‘yan’: Duterte says govt yet to collect COVID-19 response funds

/ 07:41 AM April 09, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The P275-billion COVID-19 response funds have yet to be collected by the government, President Rodrigo Duterte pointed out as he hit back at critics of the administration’s management of the budget to respond to the health crisis.

ADVERTISEMENT

In his pre-taped public address aired early Thursday, Duterte lambasted a lawmaker whom he did not name for questioning the government on the COVID-19 crisis budget.

A visibly irked Duterte explained that the P275 billion is not yet on hand since it is yet to be collected in the second, third, and fourth quarters of the year.

FEATURED STORIES

“‘Yung pinagdadaldal ng isang congressman na ulol, torpe, na may 300 billion ibinigay ng Kongreso, hangin ho lahat ‘yan. Wala pa ‘yang pera na ‘yan dito,” Duterte said.

“‘Yung budget for next year, we are preparing it now. ‘Yung budget na pinapatakbo natin was prepared last year. But COVID was not included in that budget,” he added.

The P275 billion budget for the novel coronavirus response efforts was part of the Bayanihan to Heal As One Act, which granted Duterte special powers to allocate it.

In his first public address this week, Duterte asked his economic managers to look for more sources of funds as he claimed that the P275-billion package under the Bayanihan to Heal As One Act will not last.

GSG

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Coronavirus, COVID-19, Health, Malacañang, mass testing, NcoV, Outbreak, pandemic, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.