CDO enforces house-to-house survey to track possible COVID-19 carriers | Inquirer News
Close  

CDO enforces house-to-house survey to track possible COVID-19 carriers

/ 07:12 PM April 06, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The city government of Cagayan Oro has started conducting a “house-to-house survey” to trace and immediately isolate possible COVID-19 carriers.

Since April 3, the City Health Office (CHO) has so far checked over 3,000 of the city’s 160,000 households. Of the number, they tracked 53 people with flu-like symptoms and respiratory illnesses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Further investigation will be done to check their respective travel histories or possible contacts with COVID-19 positive persons to determine whether these residents will be declared Persons Under Investigation (PUI) or Persons Under Monitoring (PUM) for the disease.

“While the house-to-house survey could lead to an increase in the number of PUIs and PUMs, we’re doing it precisely to trace and isolate possible carriers of the deadly virus,” Mayor Oscar Moreno said in a statement Monday.

FEATURED STORIES

The campaign is part of the city’s beefed-up measures against the infectious respiratory disease, which has infected 3,660 people nationwide, 163 of whom have died while 73 recovered.

Cagayan de Oro City has been placed under a city-wide quarantine and a daily 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. curfew was imposed to prevent the further spread of COVID-19.

Based on the Department of Health (DOH) data, Cagayan de Oro City has only one confirmed COVID-19 positive case, a 71-year-old male who came from Greenhills, San Juan. He was admitted to the Northern Mindanao Medical Center and was considered recovered after subsequent tests turned negative.

Despite the significant drop in the number of PUMs in the city, Moreno said he doesn’t want to be complacent.

The mayor said he is closely monitoring the situation and will defer to the opinion of the DOH and the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases in imposing an enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).

“I’m not ignoring calls by some sectors for an ECQ. As I said, it’s important to seek guidance from the IATF and DOH. We closely monitor and study the situation daily. We’re not complacent and we’re preparing for the worst-case scenario,” he said.

Moreno said that while community quarantine is in effect, the distribution of food packs continues.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We’re targeting to deliver food packs to the doorsteps of over 100,000 households. For our city’s COVID response, we have allocated P550-million,” he said.

About half of the country’s population were ordered to stay home, mass gatherings were banned and public transportations were suspended as the main island of Luzon was put on community quarantine amid the COVID-19 crisis.

This drastic measure is targeted to arrest the spread of the new coronavirus but has effectively halted business and commerce in Luzon.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cagayan de Oro, Coronavirus, COVID-19, DoH, ECQ, IATF, lockdown, Luzon, NcoV, Outbreak
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.