DPWH to convert public buildings as quarantine sites in 10 days
MANILA, Philippines — The conversion of three state-owned buildings — Philippine International Convention Center (PICC), Rizal Memorial Coliseum, and the World Trade Center (WTC) — into temporary quarantine facilities for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients will be completed in 10 days, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said.
According to DPWH Secretary Mark Villar, the conversion already started on Wednesday.
Conversion of PICC, WTC and Rizal Memorial Coliseum to start tom. Three health facilities to be completed within a period of 10 days.
The government is converting state-owned buildings and sports facilities such as the PICC, WTC, and the Rizal Memorial Coliseum into quarantine sites as hospitals and health care centers struggle to accommodate more COVID-19 patients.
The Department of Health (DOH) earlier said the temporary facilities will serve as isolation sites for patients under investigation (PUIs) for COVID-19, asymptomatic patients and those who have already recovered from the respiratory illness.
The PICC health facility is estimated to cater to the treatment from COVID-19 virus of about 630 patients, the Public Works chief said.
Once conversion of the PICC Forum Halls 1 to 3 is fully completed, operation of the temporary health facility will be under the supervision of the DOH, he added.
Meanwhile, the WTC and the Rizal Memorial Coliseum will be converted with the support of private companies.
“The Ayala Development Corporation and Makati Development Corporation committed to undertake development of World Trade Center while the Razon Group will handle the PSC-operated Rizal Memorial Sports Complex specifically the Ninoy Aquino Basketball Stadium into added health facility for COVID infection control,” the DPWH said.
To date, the Philippines has reported 2,084 confirmed COVID-19 cases, 88 of whom have died while 49 recovered.
Meanwhile, there are currently 968 PUIs and 6,321 patients under monitoring for the disease according to the latest data from the DOH.
Worldwide, the virus, which was first detected in Hubei, China late last year, has so far infected over 850,000 people in 180 countries and territories. Of the number, more than 42,000 died while over 175,000 recovered.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.