BREAKING: Bongbong Marcos tests positive for COVID-19
- (FILE) Photo courtesy of Bongbong Marcos’ office
MANILA, Philippines — Former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has been tested positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19), his lawyer confirmed Tuesday.
His spokesman, Atty. Victor Rodriguez, said that Marcos’ condition is improving after testing positive for the disease.
His test results were released by the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine last Saturday, March 28.
“Gumaganda na ang kondisyong pangkalusugan ni dating Sen. Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos, Jr. makaraang ihayag sa resulta ng clinical test na isinagawa ng Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) na siya’y positibo sa CoVid19,” Rodriguez said in a statement.
(The former senator’s health is improving after results from the RITM showed that he tested positive for COVID-19).
His sister, Senator Imee Marcos, earlier revealed that Bongbong arrived “unwell” from his trip in Spain prompting him to get tested for the disease.
According to Rodriguez, Marcos went to a hospital on March 14, after experiencing chest pains but he eventually went home as there was a deluge of patients in the hospital.
Marcos stayed in his room since and only came out on March 22, when he was rushed to the emergency room for having difficulties in breathing. He was then tested for COVID-19 and advised to undergo self-quarantine.
“Simula noong Marso 13, 2020 hanggang sa ngayon ay sinusunod ng dating senador ang health protocol sa mga PUI at taimtim at tahimik nyang tinupad ang ipinaiiral na proseso ng gamutan, ‘tulad ng safety mask at self-quarantine, at walang ingay na inilayo ang kanyang sarili maging sa kanyang pamilya ‘gaya ng isang simple, responsable at ordinaryong pasyente,” Rodriguez said.
(Since March 13 until now, Marcos has been abiding by the health protocols for persons under investigation and he followed the process of the clinic like wearing safety masks and self-quarantine and distancing himself from his family members.)
Last week, Marcos himself went on social media to show “proof of life” following reports of his poor health after his trip to Spain. He supposedly had to be airlifted to Singapore for treatment for his alleged severe illness.
The former lawmaker could be seen somewhat emaciated in photos of him holding the day’s issue of a broadsheet, which was posted on his Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Edited by JPV
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.