outbrain
Close  

COVID-19: Makati Medical Center has sent home 29 recovered patients

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 07:15 PM March 30, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Some silver lining from the Makati Medical Center (MMC), which reported Monday that it has discharged 29 COVID-19 patients who have now recovered from the infectious respiratory illness.

MMC Medical Director Saturnino Javier said that “the discharged patients are all clinically improved, with several obtaining at lease once negative COVID-19 result.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Without juxtaposing this against the Department of Health (DOH) numbers, the number is still considerable — worthy of quiet applause to motivate our workforce,” Javier said in a statement.

DOH considers a COVID-19 patient to have recovered when they have tested negative of the virus twice, which Javier said is a “real challenge to satisfy given the delay in the processing of tests.”

FEATURED STORIES

As of Monday afternoon, DOH said a total of 42 COVID-19 patients were able to recover from the respiratory disease caused by a coronavirus named SARS-CoV-2.

As of March 29, MMC said it has attended to nearly 1,300 individuals: 832 persons under investigation (PUIs) for COVID-19 infection and 449 persons under monitoring (PUMs) since March 8.

No nurses from the COVID-19 frontlines in MMC have so far contracted the coronavirus, according to Javier.

He also said that no medical and nursing personnel in MMC’s emergency room have tested positive for COVID-19 after the hospital implemented full personal protective equipment for frontliners.

Meanwhile, two MMC personnel who were previously intubated in the intensive care unit (ICU) are currently in stable condition — one of which has been extubated, Javier added.

Javier said MMC’s current manpower is currently over 700 physicians.

The MMC medical director likewise took note of Senator Koko Pimentel’s earlier “blunder” at the hospital, saying this “galvanized even more public support for healthcare professionals in the Philippines.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“The blunder on a politician’s part proved to be a much-needed spark that fired more convictions in support of healthcare professionals — including the epicenter of the fiasco, Makati Medical Center,” he said.

“We continue to celebrate each other’s life — as we wake up early to face the challenge anew. Stay safe. God bless,” Javier added.

The Philippines has recorded 1,546 cases of COVID-19, including 78 fatalities, as of Monday afternoon.

KGA

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2019-nCoV, China, Coronavirus, COVID-19, discharge, DoH, Health, Local news, lockdown, Luzon, Makati Medical Center, MMC, Nation, national news, NcoV, nCoV update, news, novel coronavirus, Outbreak, pandemic, Philippine news updates, Philippines, Quarantine, Recovered Patients, recoveries, State of Calamity, Virus, Wuhan
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.