Bataan’s first COVID-19 case recovers, discharged from hospital
CITY OF BALANGA — The first person found infected with COVID-19 in Bataan province has already recovered and was discharged from the hospital on Thursday, local officials said.
Gov. Abet Garcia said the 32-year-old man from Orani town was treated at Bataan St. Joseph Hospital here.
The man reportedly contracted the disease while working in Manila.
Bataan has two other COVID-19 cases who are being treated in hospitals in the province.
The COVID-19 outbreak emerged in China’s Wuhan City in Hubei province in late 2019. The highly contagious respiratory illness is caused by the novel coronavirus or SARS-CoV-2.
People who have COVID-19 could recover since for most people, its symptoms were mild like fever and cough. But the illness could also be worse or serious for others and possibly lead to pneumonia, especially for older adults and those with existing health problems.
The World Health Organization has declared COVID-19 a pandemic since it has already infected more than 472,000 people worldwide and killed more than 21,300. On the other hand, over 114,700 people have recovered so far from the disease.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.