outbrain
Close  

Luzon quarantine effects to be seen in next 2 weeks – Duque

/ 05:38 PM March 26, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The effects of the enhanced community quarantine of the entire Luzon will be seen in the next two weeks, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said Thursday amid the continuous spike in COVID-19 cases in the country despite the imposition of the month-long lockdown.

In a virtual press briefing, Duque said that cases being detected now by the Department of Health (DOH) are the ones incurred before the enforcement of the Luzon quarantine, citing the respiratory disease’s incubation period that takes seven to 14 days.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Ang nakikita pa lamang ng Kagawaran ng Kalusugan ay mga kaso bago pa simulang ang enhanced community quarantine. Ito ay dahil ang incubation period ng COVID-19 ay nasa 7 to 14 days,” Duque said.

“Makikita pa lamang ang epekto ng enhanced community quarantine matapos ang susunod na dalawang linggo,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

To date, the Philippines has 707 confirmed COVID-19 cases, 45 of whom have died while 28 recovered.

President Rodrigo Duterte placed the entire Luzon under a month-long lockdown on March 16, forcing about half of the country’s population to observe strict home quarantine. His directive comes just two days after a botched attempt to restrict the movement of people living and working in Metro Manila.

The lockdown is the government’s response to health experts’ estimate that COVID-19 infection may reach 75,000 in the Philippines in three months if the virus is not contained.

The health chief said they are now in the process of “refining” the estimate with the government’s actions being taken into consideration.

Globally, the virus, which was first detected in Hubei, China late last year, has so far infected over 470,000 and killed more than 21,000 in nearly 200 countries and territories.

ADVERTISEMENT

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Coronavirus, COVID-19, DoH, Francisco Duque III, Koko Pimentel, NcoV
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.