NCRPO readies contingency plan in case of looting
MANILA, Philippines — The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) on Friday said it had already prepared a contingency plan to address looting of basic goods in establishments during the enhanced community quarantine in Luzon despite recording zero cases of the illegal activity in Metro Manila.
“We have a contingency plan for looting to be implemented immediately as soon as possible,” Metro Manila police chief Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas said during a press briefing at the NCRPO.
Sinas said he directed chiefs of police in the National Capital Region to ensure 24/7 security within supermarkets.
Police chiefs are also instructed to work with their respective local government units to assist in the distribution of basic needs to families, he added.
The top official of NCRPO also reiterated that photos and videos of looting activities which went viral on social media are false.
“I would like to reiterate to the public that no such looting was yet reported to have happened in the Metro. The photo circulating on social media showing people who climbed Mckinley Hills Subdivision’s
wall is not true,” he said.
Sinas also clarified that the supposed looting incident in Binondo, Manila on Wednesday turned out to be a snatching incident involving a Chinese national and a minor.
“Meanwhile, the incident in Binondo on March 18, 2020 which was also mistakenly linked to looting was a snatching incident involving one Chinese national and one children in conflict with the law,” he said.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.