Prostitution raids in Makati City suspended – police
MANILA, Philippines — As the main anti-drug campaign “Oplan Tokhang” gets suspended during the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), the Makati police also temporarily stopped its raids on establishments being used as prostitution dens.
In a text message to INQUIRER.net, Makati police chief Col. Rogelio Simon said the police operation, “Oplan Magdalena,” will be suspended for now as most entertainment establishments being maintained as sex dens are closed for the duration of the quarantine.
“Prostitution raids are suspended because spas and other fronts of prostitution dens are closed,” he said in Filipino.
Since October last year, Makati police officers have uncovered entertainment establishments including hotels, condominiums, spas, karaoke bars and computer shops which are used as prostitution dens.
The Makati Business Permits and Licensing Office closed 248 establishments used as prostitution rings catering to mostly Chinese nationals.
But during the quarantine from March 17 to April 13, only pharmacies, groceries, clinics, banks and restaurants (only for take-out and delivery) are allowed to operate in the city.
Aside from helping barangay officials in implementing the quarantine in the city, Simon said the city’s police officers are also arresting those found drinking alcohol in the streets.
Previously, Metro Manila police chief Brig. Gen. Debold Sinas also revealed that they will temporarily halt Oplan Tokhang so that they can focus more on guarding checkpoints during the quarantine.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.