Prosecution witness in Maguindanao massacre survives ambush
MANILA, Philippines — A prosecution witness of the 2009 Maguindanao massacre survived an ambush in Shariff Aguak town in the province on Tuesday afternoon.
Police said Mohammad Sangki, 56, was with his four companions onboard a Nissan van in Barangay Mother Poblacion when they were fired upon by unidentified gunmen from a far distance at about 5:30 p.m.
The group came from the Integrated Provincial Health Office when the incident happened, according to police.
A Toyota pick-up also traversing the road was hit by a bullet at its radiator.
Personnel of the 2nd Provincial Mobile Force Company immediately responded to the crime scene but the gunmen had already fled from the area when they arrived.
Police found 29 spent shells believed to be from caliber 5.56mm firearms from the site.
No one was hit in the shooting incident.
Investigators are eyeing two to three gunmen in the attack, Maj. Erwin Tabora, Shariff Aguak police chief, told INQUIRER.net.
Sangki was refused to be admitted as a state witness to the gruesome massacre by the Court Appeals in July 2018, upholding its similar decision in May 2015. He was one of those acquitted of charges by the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 221 in its decision on the case on December 19, 2019.
The Maguindanao massacre that left 58 individuals killed, including 32 members of the media, in November 2009 is tagged as the most violent election-related incident in Philippine history.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.