Taguig City goes on lockdown due to COVID-19
MANILA, Philippines — Taguig City will go on lockdown in a bid to prevent the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from spreading.
The city government said on Tuesday that starting 12 midnight of Wednesday, March 17, entry to and exit from Taguig will no longer be allowed, except for the delivery of basic goods and supplies.
“For the safety of our Citizens and Stakeholders and to help contain the spread of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), Mayor Lino Cayetano has ordered the lockdown of Taguig City,” the city government said in a Facebook post.
For the safety of our Citizens and Stakeholders and to help contain the spread of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19),…
Posted by I Love Taguig on Monday, March 16, 2020
The city government added that supermarkets, groceries, convenience stores, and banks will remain open during the lockdown. It added that it is working to help small groceries and sari-sari stores to have a working supply chain.
“They will be allowed to operate under strict barangay monitoring and social distancing rules,” it said.
Meanwhile, backpack sprayers and disinfectants will be distributed to all barangays for sanitation.
Aid to barangays will also be released to help them fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
The city government said it will take care of the essential needs of the kin of those who have tested positive for the respiratory virus and those who are persons under monitoring (PUMs) or persons under investigation (PUIs).
Senior citizens and their families and others belonging to the vulnerable sectors are advised to stay home and designate only one person to go out for needed supplies.
The local government will continue to distribute anti-COVID-19 kits to more than 68,000 senior citizens in Taguig.
The government is also working with transportation groups and barangays to establish point-to-point service and a community pick-up and drop-off areas for those who are unable to access supplies in their immediate areas.
“Please stay within your street or barangay when buying supplies. This will help protect your family and your barangay from the spread of the virus,” the local government advised.
“Stay home. Do not panic. There are enough food and supplies for basic necessities. The City of Taguig is committed to keeping all our citizens safe and protected,” it added. #
The whole of Luzon has been placed under “enhanced community quarantine” to curb the spread of the COVID-19.
READ: Mass transport suspended all over Luzon under enhanced quarantine
The enhanced community quarantine took effect midnight of March 17 and will end at midnight on April 13.
Under an enhanced community quarantine, “strict home quarantine shall be implemented in all households; transportation shall be suspended; provision for food and essential services shall be regulated, and heightened presence of uniformed personnel to enforce quarantine procedures will be implemented.”
READ: Luzon now under ‘enhanced community quarantine’ – Palace
Health officials have so far recorded 142 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 12 deaths. To date, three individuals have recovered from the disease.
READ: DOH: ‘Recovered’ persons from COVID-19 now at 3
READ: Philippines reports 2 more COVID-19 cases; total rises to 142
Edited by MUF
For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.