outbrain
Close  

South Cotabato ends school days to keep COVID-19 away

/ 03:01 PM March 16, 2020

KORONADAL CITY—All classes in South Cotabato province had been ordered stopped in a bid to keep COVID-19 at bay.

Gov. Reynaldo Tamayo Jr. said class suspensions were only among several measures being taken to prevent the spread of the disease in the province following two confirmed cases in Mindanao.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Students are vulnerable to transmission,” he said.

Mindanao’s first COVID-19 case, labelled as Patient 40, was a 54-year old man from Lanao del Sur, who died on March 13.

FEATURED STORIES

He had sought refuge in Metro Manila during the 2017 Marawi war and returned to to Lanao del Sur recently. He was first admitted to the Adventist Medical Center in Iligan City then transferred to the Northern Mindanao Medical Center in Cagayan de Oro City where he died.

The second confirmed COVID-19 patient, tagged as Patient 130, is a 21-year-old Filipino woman who travelled from the United Kingdom to Manila with a layover in Doha, Qatar.

She travelled from Manila to Davao City last February 29. She was taken to isolation at the state-run Davao Regional Medical Center in Tagum City.

Tamayo said that classes will remain suspended until President Rodrigo Duterte lifts the state of public health emergency that was declared last week following the confirmed local transmission of COVID-19 in Metro Manila .

The Department of Health raised the COVID-19 alert level to Code Red Sub-level 2 and placed the entire Metro Manila under “community quarantine.”

The President ordered a halt on domestic travel to and from Manila, the suspension of classes and a ban on large gatherings.

Tamayo urged school administrators and principals to heed his order suspending classes for the protection of students.

ADVERTISEMENT

Final exams were supposedly set this week for private and public schools for the school year 2019-2020.

Dr. Rogelio Aturdido, South Cotabato health chief, said the province remains negative of COVID-19 as of Monday (March 16).

He urged people who had been to Metro Manila to go on home quarantine for 14 days, the estimated incubation period of the virus that causes COVID-19.

While on home quarantine, patients were advised to keep a distance of three feet from other household members and avoid sharing utensils and other personal belongings.

Edited by TSB

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: coronavirus update, nCoV update
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.