outbrain
Close  

Septuagenarian rebel surrenders in Cagayan

By: - Correspondent / @VillVisayaJrINQ
/ 04:38 PM March 14, 2020

TUGUEGARAO CITY –– A 79-year-old man, claiming to be a squad leader of the New People’s Army, faced the media on Thursday (Mar. 12) after surrendering to the Cagayan provincial government in Santo Niño town, a belated report says.

After a 40-year stint, Loreto Diliggon Ventura, a native of Maab-abaca village in Ilocos Norte’s Piddig town, said he gave up after being abandoned in a hut at Lagum village, where he had been recuperating from an ailment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ventura claimed he joined the rebels while he was in his 30s, and had been able to raise three children with his wife, Grace.

He turned over an M-16 Armalite rifle, a Carbine rifle, a caliber 45 handgun, assorted bullets, improvised explosive devices, and anti-government documents.

FEATURED STORIES

He initially received P20,000 financial assistance from the Cagayan provincial government./lzb

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cagayan province, New People's Army, NPA, Philippine news updates, Rebel, Regions, septuagenarian, surrender
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.