outbrain
Close  

25 families left homeless in Basilan fire due to unattended mosquito repellent

/ 12:09 PM February 24, 2020

ZAMBOANGA CITY — An unattended lighted coil of mosquito repellent led to a fire that left 25 families homeless in Barangay Malakas, Lamitan City on Sunday afternoon.

Senior Fire Officer Victor Ramiso, chief of the Lamitan City Fire Station, said the blaze gutted seven residential houses and a private school building.

ADVERTISEMENT

Initial investigation showed that the fire started from a lighted mosquito repellent coil, which was left unattended in an abandoned house frequented by homeless beggars at night.

Ramiso said two firefighters were injured from falling debris. He identified them as Fire Officer 3 Joey Jacinto, fire marshal Tubaran town’s Fire Station, and Fire Officer 1 Elvin Saldarieza of Lamitan City Fire Station.

FEATURED STORIES

Perly Tacorda, Lamitan City Social Welfare Officer, said the 25 families left homeless by the fire are temporarily staying in the Malakas village hall.

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Basilan, Fire, mosquito repellant
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.