59 who had close contacts with 3 COVID-19 patients show signs of infection
MANILA, Philippines — A total of 59 individuals who had close contacts with the three Chinese nationals who tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) here in the country are showing signs of virus infection and are now considered as patients under investigation (PUIs), according to the Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday.
Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo said that of this number, 44 are those who have come in close contact with the 44-year-old Chinese man who died due to the virus on Feb. 1 and his partner, a 38-year-old Chinese woman who was already discharged from the San Lazaro Hospital in Manila on Saturday.
The remaining 15 are the close contacts of the 60-year-old Chinese woman who had already flew back to China.
Domingo said all of these PUIs are currently in isolation in hospitals.
In total, the DOH epidemiology bureau and the Philippine National Police – Criminal Investigation and Detection Group have identified all 455 contacts of the first two cases. A total of 277 of them have been interviewed by authorities about their medical condition.
For the third case, 246 out of the 731 contacts were already traced. A total of 164 have been interviewed, including 149 who are now in home quarantine.
Domingo said none of the patients under investigation have refused to be isolated in hospitals.
In the nationwide scale, the number of PUIs has reached 408 as of 12 noon Wednesday, including 208 patients who have already tested negative for the virus.
Edited by JPV
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.