DOH: Novel coronavirus not yet classified as airborne
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) clarified Monday that the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has not yet been classified as an airborne disease.
DOH Undersecretary Eric Domingo said in a press conference that he asked for information from the World Health Organization (WHO) regarding reports saying the 2019-nCoV, which causes acute respiratory disease, is now airborne.
“There’s nothing conclusive about it at this time,” said Domingo. “It’s still being studied by the WHO.”
WHO earlier noted that in previous outbreaks of other strains of coronavirus, specifically the Middle-East Respiratory Syndrome and the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, human-to-human transmission occurred through droplets, contact, and families, which suggests that the transmission mode for 2019-nCoV ARD “can be similar.”
In addition, officials from Shanghai previously said that confirmed transmission routes of the novel coronavirus include direct transmission, contact transmission, and aerosol transmission.
Nevertheless, Domingo reminded the public that precautions must still be taken.
“Until we’re given any hard evidence, right now, the WHO has not classified it as an airborne infection,” Domingo pointed out.
Edited by KGA
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.