83d Araw ng Dabaw events scratched due to coronavirus fears
DAVAO CITY – A number of events and festivities slated for the 83rd Araw ng Dabaw have been called off due to continuing threats posed by the 2019 novel coronavirus (nCoV).
Mayor Sara Duterte made the announcement on Monday as global health workers grapple to contain and address the virus that had killed more than 900 people and infected over 40,000in China and other parts of the world, so far.
Araw ng Dabaw activities canceled were Pasiugdang Pagsaulog, Reyna Dabawenya, Ginoong Davao, Sayaw Pinoy, Kalingawan sa Sta. Ana, Hudyaka, Mutya ng Dabaw, Pasidungog, Araw ng Empleyado, Kanta Bidabawenyo, Parada Dabawenyo, and the Datu Bago Awards.
Araw ng Dabaw is a month-long celebration that incorporates the original charter anniversary of the city on March 1.
The Parada Dabawenyo is scheduled on March 16,.
“The novel coronavirus situation remains very fluid and there is still no answer when it will be stabilized or its spread across the globe be fully controlled,” Mayor Duterte said.
“We have seen an increasing number of people getting the infection worldwide,” she added.
She pointed out that the limitations of existing healthcare facilities in the city led to the decision to cancel the annual festivities.
“Because of these limitations, our plan is to ensure that we (Dabawenyos) do not get the infection. Please read all available information on how you can keep yourself, your children, and the entire family healthy. It is important to keep your immune system strong. Avoid crowded places and activities that will propagate the spread of the virus,” Duterte said.
The Department of Health earlier issued an advisory against large public gatherings.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.