outbrain
Close  

Bodies of nCov fatality, PUI in San Lazaro Hospital already buried

By: - Reporter / @KHallareINQ
/ 02:06 PM February 08, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday said the bodies of two Chinese nationals who died at the San Lazaro Hospital amid the 2019 novel coronavirus acute respiratory disease (2019 nCov-ARD) threat, have been buried.

One of the two bodies was that of a 44-year-old Chinese man, who was considered as the first  2019 nCov ARD fatality outside of China. The other Chinese national meanwhile succumbed to pneumonia while tagged as a person under investigation (PUI) for having contracted the novel coronavirus.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Nilibing na lang, kasi yung mga um-oo nung una na ike-cremate, umatras dahil sa iba’t ibang kadahilanan,” Health Chief Francisco Duque III told radio station DZBB.

(They were just buried  because the crematoria who first agreed to cremate the bodies, they later backed out for several reasons.)

FEATURED STORIES

“So minabuti ng ating director ng San Lazaro na makipag-ugnayan na, na gawin na lang burial. Natapos na ‘yun kahapon ng umaga,” he added.

(So the director of San Lazaro decided to coordinate, to just do the burial.)

Asked if the families of the Chinese nationals have been informed of their burials, the Health Secretary answered in the affirmative.

Previously, DOH spokesperson Usec. Eric Domingo said the bodies were “properly disposed of,” as crematoria refused to cremate the bodies for fear that their businesses may be affected if they cremate a deceased who contracted the novel coronavirus.

As of Saturday, China reported that there have been 722 deaths due to the new virus that was first detected in the city of Wuhan in Hubei province.

The Philippines, meanwhile, has three confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus.

Edited by MUF
ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Department of Health, novel coronavirus, San Lazaro Hospital
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.