Manila to distribute 100,000 face masks amid novel coronavirus threat
MANILA, Philippines — The Manila City government will distribute 100,000 face masks to residents in the wake of the threat from the novel coronavirus that was traced to have originated from Wuhan in China.
“Ito po ang ating initial na distribution ng mga facemasks. Tuloy-tuloy po ang ating pagdistribute nito sa mga susunod na linggo,” Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said in a statement on Thursday.
(This is our initial distribution of facemasks. Our distribution will continue in the coming weeks.)
Citing information from the Manila Health Department, Domagoso said no case of the new coronavirus strain has reached the city.
Nevertheless, Domagoso has urged the public to remain alert against the virus, which according to international media reports, had so far claimed the lives of 17 people and infected over 540 in China.
Hong Kong authorities reportedly said that family members of the man who tested positive for the virus arrived in the country via Cebu Pac J5111, but Philippine health authorities said all passengers of the flight passed screening on arrival in the country.
Cebu Pacific said it is coordinating with Hong Kong officials to track down the relatives of the man who tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
Edited by MUF
For more information about the novel coronavirus click here.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.