Search continues for 7 missing fishermen in West Philippine Sea
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Navy and Philippine Coast Guard are still searching for the seven Filipino fishermen who went missing in the West Philippine Sea.
The crew of Narem 2 had been missing since Jan. 13, after it headed to fish in the vicinity waters off Dasol, Pangasinan.
Philippine Coast Guard flies over Scarborough Shoal during search for 7 missing Filipino fishermen in Pangasinan (PCG video) pic.twitter.com/HzgxPFmtAv
— Frances Mangosing (@FMangosingINQ) January 21, 2020
Narem 2 was skippered by Captain Alberto Roldan. Other missing crew members were: Roderick Montemayor, Homar Maglantay, Ejay Dela Cruz, Jerome Maglantay, Larry Legaspi, and Jefferson Bernabe.
Boat owner Christine Macaraig said she last heard from the crew through radio last Jan. 13. The crew reported engine problems and rough waves. Their last known location was 60 nautical miles off Camaso Island in Dasol, Pangasinan.
PCG spokesperson Capt. Arman Balilo said they conducted an aerial survey on Monday to search for the fishermen. They also flew over Scarborough Shoal, where they sighted a China Coast Guard ship and other vessels except for Narem 2.
The Naval Forces Northern Luzon’s search and rescue operations in the coastal areas of Zambales, Pangasinan and La Union yielded no results so far.
The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources and the Philippine Air Force are also helping in the search and rescue efforts.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.