outbrain
Close  

PNP to be ‘on the offensive’ after ceasefire with Reds lapses

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 03:12 PM January 07, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) will be “on the offensive” against communist rebels once the “unilateral and reciprocal ceasefire” between the government and the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and its armed wing, New Peoples’ Army (NPA) lapsed on Wednesday.

PNP officer-in-charge Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa issued the directive Tuesday, the last day of effectivity of the ceasefire, which started on Dec. 23 last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Ang directive ko ngayon is offensive. Huwag tayo pauna. Puntahan natin sila. Huwag natin pabayaan silang pumunta sa atin,” Gamboa said in a press conference.

He noted that during the ceasefire, the CPP-NPA committed two violations of the holiday truce just hours after the police and the military called off offensive operations.

FEATURED STORIES

Suspected communist guerrillas ambushed policemen and soldiers in separate attacks in Iloilo and Camarines Norte provinces.

Two policemen were reportedly wounded and one soldier was killed and six others injured in the attacks.

Gamboa said the PNP will let the top executives to decide on what to do with the violations.

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Ceasefire, communist rebels, CPP, NPA, offensive, Operations, PNP‎
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.