Black Nazarene procession quicker due to new security plan
MANILA, Philippines — National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) on Tuesday said the duration of Black Nazarene Thanksgiving Procession in Manila was shortened this year, conducted for less than two hours, due to the implementation of a new security plan.
In a statement, NCRPO acting director Brig. Gen. Debold Sinas said the Catholic tradition lasted for one hour and 45 minutes which is quicker than last year’s 10 hours and 22 minutes.
Police said the thanksgiving procession, which starts the nine-day novena to the Black Nazarene, began at 11:45 p.m. of December 30 and ended at 1:30 a.m.
Sinas previously explained that the new security scheme increases police escorts near the “andas” or carriage of the Black Nazarene Statue. Uniformed personnel will guard both sides of the carriage to ensure a smooth procession.
Over 10,000 police officers and other agencies were deployed to ensure safety of over 70,000 participants in the religious parade.
NCRPO also declared the parade as “generally peaceful” with no untoward incidents recorded.
With this improvement, the NCRPO acting chief said the new security plan would most likely be used during the Traslacion on Jan. 9 next year.
“Taking into account that the enhanced security approach for the thanksgiving procession has been effective, same security blueprint might be implemented for the ‘Traslacion’ of the Black Nazarene from Quirino Grandstand to Quiapo Church in Manila on January 9,” Sinas said.