Mindanao earthquake death toll climbs to 7 – NDRRMC
MANILA, Philippines — Seven casualties have so far been confirmed after a magnitude 6.9 earthquake rattled parts of Davao del Sur and nearby provinces Sunday afternoon, the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
In its situation report released Tuesday, NDRRMC said the fatalities are from Davao del Sur and Davao Occidental. 49 individuals were reported injured.
NDRRMC said 1,961 families or 9,755 persons were displaced in 12 barangays in the Davao Region.
Most of these families are taking temporary shelter in 13 evacuation centers, the report said.
As of Monday, NDRRMC said 556 aftershocks have been recorded since the earthquake hit Davao del Sur Sunday.
55 of the aftershocks were relatively strong and unnerved residents.
The number of damaged public structures in the Davao and Soccsksargen regions rose to 36, including seven totally damaged buildings and 11 partially damaged school buildings in Davao del Sur and Sarangani.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.