Military: 4 NPA guerrillas surrender in Quezon
LUCENA CITY – The military in Southern Tagalog announced the surrender of four New People’s Army guerrillas on Monday yet, Dec. 9.
Capt. Jayrald Ternio, head of the public affairs office of the Army’s 2nd Infantry Division, said three of the rebels surrendered to the 1st Infantry Battalion in the town of Lucban, Quezon province.
The rebels turned over an M-16 rifle and a grenade launcher, Ternio said in a press release.
The three rebels had been identified by the military in its “periodic status report” which contained details about rebels other than their identities.
On Dec. 1, Ternio said another NPA rebel also surrendered to the Army’s 85th Infantry Battalion in San Francisco town.
The rebels’ identities were being withheld for security reasons.
Ternio said the rebels would be subjected to what the military described as reintegration protocols—medical checkups, debriefing and enrollment in the Duterte administration’s well-funded E-Clip, or Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program.
E-Clip offers free medical treatments, education, housing and legal aid to rebels who would give up.
Edited by TSB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.