2 more deaths in Masbate added to typhoon toll
LEGAZPI CITY, Albay, Philippines — The death toll from Typhoon Tisoy, internationally known as Kammuri, has increased after two more casualties were reported in Monreal town in Masbate province Saturday, according to Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (MDRRMO) of Monreal Sunday.
Mary Ann Neria, a mentally challenged woman from Barangay Togoron, and an unidentified two-year-old boy were both found dead on Saturday.
Neria’s father said Mary Ann was last seen leaving the evacuation center they had been staying in at the onslaught of the typhoon Tuesday.
The report, however, did not specify the cause of death of the last two people.
Earlier, the Masbate Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (PDRRMO) reported three deaths due to Tisoy in the towns of Aroroy, Claveria and Monreal.
Disaster officials of Monreal said the unidentified boy, whose body was buried immediately due to lack of morticians, was not a resident of the town. Officials believe he was carried to the area from another town.
As of Tuesday, no one has come forward to claim and identify the child.
The disaster management office also confirmed that 26 injured individuals in the towns of Aroroy, Baleno, Claveria, Uson and Masbate City.
Also recorded were 2,768 damaged houses and 1,639 destroyed houses in Monreal town.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.