Evacuees in Catanduanes grow to 4,000 families as Tisoy eye wall growls louder
LEGAZPI CITY—At least 4,000 families moved out of harm’s way in Catanduanes province, one of the first pieces of Philippine land that Typhoon Tisoy started to strike on Monday evening.
The provincial disaster risk reduction and management office said 11 towns in Catanduanes had been emptied of people from 315 villages. They were transferred to shelters or moved to relatives’ houses.
Tisoy’s eye wall, or most dangerous part of the storm, was expected to slam into Catanduanes and the other Bicol provinces of Camarines Sur, Albay and Sorsogon.
It was taking its sweet time, though. It’s currently moving at 15 kilometers an hour (about the speed of a man walking briskly) down from 20 kph, according to the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) in a 5 p.m. bulletin.
Pagasa said Tisoy could make landfall in the Albay-Sorsogon area between Monday evening and early Tuesday. Rey Anthony Ostria
Edited by TSB
Click here for more weather related news."
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.