NCRPO chief says he prefers if cops will not man Bilibid | Inquirer News

NCRPO chief says he prefers if cops will not man Bilibid

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 10:54 AM November 05, 2019
NCRPO chief says he prefers if cops will not man Bilibid

NCRPO director Brig. Gen. Debold Sinas answers questions during a press briefing on Tuesday, November 5, 2019. INQUIRER.net photo / Noy Morcoso

MANILA, Philippines — Metro Manila police chief Brig. Gen. Debold Sinas on Tuesday said he prefers if policemen will not be assigned to man the National Bilibid Prison (NBP) as this type of job requires a different set of skills and training.

“Honestly? Yes,” Debold said in an interview over ABS CBN News Channel when asked if he prefers if police officers are not tasked to man the national penitentiary.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Because iba po ang trabaho ng pulis. [The job of a police officer is different]. We are not equipped to deal with prisoners and inmates,” he added.

However, since the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) asked the police to assist them, Sinas said they will have to “make do.”

FEATURED STORIES

Sinas said this in view of a recent issue where 18 police officers, previously 16, were accused of trying to smuggle contraband inside the NBP. Four of the involved policemen are now facing administrative charges.

READ: NCRPO: 4 cops in NBP smuggling mess to face admin raps

READ: NCRPO probes 16 cops nabbed for smuggling contraband inside NBP

He said 14 others were accused of trying to bring in cellphones inside the NBP. However, after forensic examinations of the phones, it turned out that those were the cops’ personal phones.

“Lahat ‘yun, talagang personal, may tawag sa pamilya, may text sa kaibigan. So there was no really intent kasi hinahanap namin ‘yung cellphone na walang laman, bagong cellphone,” Sinas said.

(All of the cellphones were personal belongings because they contain calls from family and texts from friends. So there was no really intent to smuggle them because we’re looking for phones that are empty, new cell phones).

“Kung nasa labas ka ng [NBP], okay ang cellphone, basta kapag pumasok ka i-surrender mo yan, okay ka pa rin. They never reached that stage [If you’re outside the NBP, cellphones are okay, but if go inside you need to surrender it],” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sinas vowed that he will not sit on cases against erring cops.

The National Capital Region Police Officer (NCRPO) earlier recalled 200 of its personnel providing security at the national penitentiary after the issue broke out.

The recalled police officers were reportedly assigned back to their unit at the headquarters of the NCRPO. /jpv

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bilibid, cellphones, contraband, COPS, Debold Sinas, Local news, NCRPO chief, Philippine news update
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.