Amid swine fever scare, Misamis Oriental holds ‘pork fest’ anew
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY –– Amid the scare over African Swine Fever (ASF) that struck parts of Luzon, Mindanao, particularly the province of Misamis Oriental, has so far been spared from the deadly animal disease.
To prove that Misamis Oriental is still free from ASF, the provincial government held another “pork fest” Friday to show that pigs and pork meat products from the province were safe for human consumption.
Part of the Provincial Capitol grounds was converted into a temporary banquet area as chopped lechon or roasted pigs and cooked and grilled pork meat were laid out on tables, boodle fight-style, and served to provincial government employees, guests and the public.
The event was held in time for the culmination of the 2019 Meat Safety Consciousness Week participated in by the province.
Dr. Antonio Resma, the provincial agriculturist, said they have prepared 25 roasted pigs and 125 kilos of pork meat cooked either as “humba,” a popular local dish or as barbecue.
“This is to show to the public that pigs and pork meat products are still safe to eat. So far we have not been affected by the African Swine Fever,” he said. /lzb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.