CA junks habeas corpus case of BuCor officials vs Senate
MANILA, Philippines — Because of “mootness,” the Court of Appeals has dismissed the petition filed by three officials from the Bureau of Correction (BuCor) which sought their release from Senate detention.
In its three-page resolution made public Thursday, the CA’s Sixth Division said the petition for habeas corpus filed by BuCor medical officer Dr. Ursicio Cenas, lawyer Fredric Anthony Santos, and documents processing chief Ramoncito Roque was “dismissed and considered terminated.”
The BuCor officials said their detention was unlawful and a violation of their rights.
The appeals court said they were informed by Major General Rene Samonte Jr. of the Senate Office sergeant-at-arms that the petitioners have already been released by virtue of a release order issued by Senator Richard Gordon, the chairman of the Senate’s Committee on Justice and Human Rights.
“In their comment dated Oct. 3, 2019, signed by Senate Legal Counsel Maria Valentina Santana-Cruz, respondents pointed out that the instant petition for habeas corpus had been rendered ‘moot and academic with the release of petitioners voluntarily by respondents on September 19, 2019, or even before the Honorable Court’s issuance of its Preliminary Citation on September 20, 2019.’ Accordingly, they prayed for the dismissal of the instant petition for being moot and academic,” the appeals court said.
The three BuCor officials were detained by the Senate for eight days or from Sept. 12 until 5:10 p.m. of Sept. 19 for reportedly being evasive when asked about the anomalies inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP), particularly on the sale of the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) in the BuCor.
On Sept. 18, the three went to the Court of Appeals through a writ of habeas corpus. After two days, the appeals court issued a preliminary citation and gave the respondents 10 days from receipt to show cause why the writ of habeas corpus should not be issued.
In his return, dated Oct. 3, Samonte informed the CA that they have already set the petitioners free.
The ruling was issued by CA’s Sixth Division chaired by Associate Justice Ramon Bato Jr. and its two members Associate Justices Eduardo Peralta Jr. and Ruben Reynaldo Roxas. /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.