Palace backs purchase of P2-B jet for senior gov’t officials
MANILA, Philippines —Malacañang on Tuesday backed the purchase by the Philippine Air Force of a P2-billion jet aircraft that may serve as an “airborne command post” for senior government officials in times of emergencies.
“Kung may in times of crisis edi kailangan mo yun. Kaya nga crisis e. When there is necessity. Kung necessity, papano naman nagwawaldas yun,” Palace Spokesman Salvador Panelo said in a Palace briefing.
[You’ll need it in times of crisis. When there is a necessity. If it’s a necessity, how is that squandering?]
Panelo pointed out how President Rodrigo Duterte is “frugal” and “doesn’t spend unless necessary.”
Defense spokesperson Director Arsenio Andolong on Monday said the Philippine Air Force is acquiring a P2-billion Gulfstream G280 aircraft which is expected to arrive sometime in August 2020.
The Philippine government recently signed a contract through the U.S. government to purchase the G280, a Gulfstream news release said last week.
“The Secretary of National Defense explains it as the plane will primarily serve as a platform to carry senior leaders and commanders in the event of, for example, a crisis situation – that was his explanation,” Panelo said.
“It is similar [to] an airborne command post. It has a capability better than the ordinary, like it requires a short, anong tawag doon, runway,” he added. /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.