Cebu City cops hunting 7 more kids in drugs who fled detention center
CEBU CITY—The city police ordered a search for seven more children, who had run afoul with the law, who escaped from a juvenile facility last Friday, Oct. 4.
Col. Gemma Vinluan, Cebu City police chief, said she had ordered all 11 city police stations to launch search and rescue operations for the children.
She said four had surrendered on Sunday, Oct. 6.
At least 20 children escaped from the facility called Operation Second Chance past 6 p.m. on Friday by rushing past a parent delivering food.
At least nine were caught by social workers and facility “parents” while 11 escaped.
Vinluan said only four of the children had plans to escape. The rest just went along.
Councilor David Tumulak said the children, aged 15 to 17, had been involved in drugs. He urged parents of those who escaped to surrender their children.
Tumulak said authorities can’t forcibly capture the children because it was against the law. “We just want the children to be safe,” he said.
As a result of the escape, police would be deployed to the area./TSB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.