1 of 3 accused in radio man’s slay surrenders, says he can’t kill his ‘kumpare’
KIDAPAWAN CITY—One of the three men charged with the murder of broadcaster Eduardo Dizon surrendered to police on Monday, Oct. 7.
Accompanied by his wife, Sotero Jacolbe, presented himself to Lt. Col. Ramel Hojilla, Kidapawan police chief, a week after a warrant of arrest had been issued for him and two others charged with the murder of Dizon last July 10.
Jacolbe, however, insisted he was innocent and ready to face the case in court.
“I can walk with head up high because I don’t have any participation in the killing of my kumpare,” Jacolbe said, using a Filipino word that loosely means best friend.
Hojilla said Jacolbe would be sent to jail just the same.
Two of Jacolbe’s co-accused—Dante Tabusares, alias Bong Encarnacion, and Junell Gerozaga—remained at large after their lawyers filed a motion questioning the murder charge.
Dizon, who worked at the radio station Brigade New FM Radio, was in his car going home after the night shift in Makilala town, Cotabato province when he was attacked by gunmen on motorcycles.
He was killed instantly. Williamor A. Magbanua /TSB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.