DOLE to extend P5.5-M employment aid to affected Star City workers
MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) will extend P5.5 million in emergency employment assistance to about 500 workers of Star City who were displaced as a result of the fire that razed the amusement park.
In a statement Friday, DOLE said the employment aid is under the agency’s Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (Tupad) program, which will be extended to the affected workers for two months.
Tupad is an emergency employment program for displaced workers, underemployed, and seasonal workers, DOLE said.
The assistance is similar to that provided to employees of the fire-gutted mall in Davao City last year, those affected by the Mayon Volcano eruption also in 2018, and the six-month closure of Boracay.
The Public Employment Service Office (PESO) of Pasay City will also conduct a profiling and assessment on the displaced workers for potential alternative employment.
A huge fire gutted Star City before dawn Wednesday, leaving around P1 billion in damage and hundreds of regular and seasonal employees uncertain about their future.
Malacañang has already ordered concerned government agencies to extend necessary assistance to affected workers. /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.