Ex-Caloocan execs lose bid to dismiss falsification case
MANILA, Philippines – The Sandiganbayan has denied the motion for reconsideration filed by two former Caloocan City officials in a bid to dismiss the falsification cases they are now facing at the anti-graft court.
The court’s Sixth Division, in a resolution dated Sept. 2, said ex-Caloocan Accountant Edna Centeno and former budget officer Jesusa Garcia wrongly argued that there was no evidence they falsified documents by saying there were funds for city projects when, in fact, there were none.
The two former officials had asked the court to overturn an earlier ruling denying their demurrer to evidence, which would have allowed them to seek dismissal of the case based on their contention that there was no proof.
Centeno and Garcia are co-accused in a graft case against former Mayor Enrico Echiverri involving the award of a P5.43 million contract to build a village multi-purpose hall to C.B. Tampengco Construction and Supply.
The two former city officials had been charged with issuing certifications on the availability of funds for the project which the prosecution said was false and made up.
Centeno, Garcia, and Echiverri have been slapped with over 50 graft cases after the former mayor’s term ended in 2013.
Recently, they have scored a string of victories, largely because of an ordinance that allowed Echiverri to enter into contracts without the nod of city council./TSB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.