Close  

Bantag: I won’t shave my beard until BuCor issues addressed

/ 07:39 PM September 23, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — Newly-appointed Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief Gerald Bantag on Monday said he would not shave his beard until issues within the bureau had been addressed.

“For me, my beard serves as a mark that as long as it is there, problems within BuCor have not been addressed. Once it’s gone, it’s already OK,” Bantag, speaking in Filipino, said in an interview with AM radio station DZMM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bantag replaced former BuCor Director General Nicanor Faeldon whom President Rodrigo Duterte dismissed amid controversies surrounding the implementation of the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law that allowed the release of over nearly 2,000 heinous crime convicts.

Bantag said he started his job at BuCor three days ago, adding that a briefing was supposed to take place but was canceled due to technical difficulties.

FEATURED STORIES

“The briefing was canceled so we just talked. I also gave guidance to key BuCor staff,” he said.

The new BuCor chief admitted that he had not yet to made the rounds of the maximum security prison as he would want to focus first on internal management.

/atm

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bucor, Bureau of Corrections, Gerald Bantag, Nicanor Faeldon
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.