Close  

Jinggoy Estrada plunder trial to proceed, appeal denied

MANILA, Philippines — The Sandiganbayan Fifth Division maintained that the plunder case against former Sen. Jinggoy Estrada remained strong as it denied his appeal on an earlier demurrer to evidence.

In a resolution dated Sept. 9 but made public only on Wednesday, the antigraft court said Estrada did not present new arguments that would warrant a reversal of the original decision to deny his demurrer.

ADVERTISEMENT

“A careful examination of the present motions for reconsideration shows that the matters raised therein are mere reiterations which had been exhaustively discussed and resolved in the assailed resolution dated June 13, 2019,” the resolution said.

Estrada earlier filed a demurrer to evidence, which formally asks the court to evaluate the evidence presented by the prosecution, to determine if there is enough evidence to proceed.

Sufficient evidence

A granted demurrer is tantamount to a dismissal of the case. However, since the court denied Estrada’s demurrer, his trial will proceed, with Estrada’s camp presenting defense evidence.

In his motion for reconsideration, Estrada maintained that since the criminal information did not specifically identify him as the main plunderer, the case against him should be dismissed.

However, the court said “the prosecution presented sufficient evidence to establish all the elements of the crime charged.”

The court reiterated that “the information adequately informed all the accused of the nature of the accusations against them” and that it is clear that the scheme would not have prospered if Estrada was not involved, hence, he is the main plunderer.

 ‘Main plunderer’

“It is clear that the main plunderer so to speak is no other than Estrada,” the Sandiganbayan said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The court said Estrada’s repeated act of sending endorsement letters to agencies to assign bogus organizations for pork-funded projects “started the whole PDAF (Priority Development Assistance Fund) scheme.”

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Jinggoy Estrada, plunder case, pork barrel scame, Sandiganbayan
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
business

Weak investor appetite pulls down PH shares

September 20, 2019 05:10 AM

globalnation

US eyes aid as DA rejects pig death toll

September 20, 2019 05:08 AM

globalnation

PH flags UK for abuse of Filipino seafarers

September 20, 2019 05:06 AM

sports

Bonding time

September 20, 2019 05:06 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.