Faeldon, BuCor exec clash at Senate over early release of convicts
MANILA, Philippines — Sacked Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief Nicanor Faeldon on Monday clashed with the agency’s legal chief over the release of heinous crime convicts without prior approval of the Secretary of Justice (SOJ).
At the ongoing hearing of the Senate committee on justice, BuCor’s legal chief, Fredric Anthony Santos, claimed that he informed Faeldon about Department Order 953.
The said directive requires prior approval of the SOJ before an inmate, who was sentenced to reclusion perpetua, is released.
During last week’s hearing, Faeldon admitted that he did not seek clearance from the SOJ before signing the release order of heinous crime convicts.
Santos claimed, however, that he informed Faeldon about the department order, which the latter vehemently denied.
“Sir, sinabi po namin ‘yan (DO 953)…” Santos said, responding to Senator Richard Gordons’ queries.
But who was the person he informed about the directive? The lawyer said: “Kay general, na meron pong ganyan.”
Santos, however, said he could not remember anymore as to when he informed Faeldon about the directive when quizzed by the Senate panel chair.
Faeldon denied Santos’ claim.
“I have never heard him informed me about 953. In fact, that’s not the way to do it,” he said.
“If that’s indeed true, they should have already sent a prepared letter of endorsement to the Secretary listing down those supposed to be released for that month if that’s indeed true.”
“…So there was no prior information of this 953 to me because if that’s true, then every time we make releases, then there should be a prepared communication to the Secretary for my signature,” Faeldon added.
At this point, Santos corrected himself and said he could not remember if he informed Faeldon directly about the Department Order.
“Hindi ko po mataandan na kung sa staff nya…” he said. /kga