outbrain
Close  

Lotto, small town lottery outlets shut down in Tagbilaran City

By: - Correspondent / @leoudtohanINQ
12:16 PM July 27, 2019

A PCSO lotto outlet, which had been operating since 1999, is closed on Saturday July 27, after President Duterte declared all Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) gaming illegal. Leo Udtohan/Inquirer Visayas

TAGBILARAN CITY, Bohol –– Several lotto and small town lottery (STL) outlets were closed in Tagbilaran City, Bohol on Saturday morning after President Duterte declared illegal all gaming operations ran by the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office due to allegations of corruption.

Cesar Pamaong, a lotto operator in Barangay Cogon, had to close his outlet, which he had been operating since 1999.

ADVERTISEMENT

A message “offline” appeared when he turned on the machine.

Some residents went to the outlet to place their bets for the 11 a.m. Swertres draw but went home dismayed.

FEATURED STORIES

Marites (family name withheld upon her request) and a “cobradora” (bet collector) of an STL outlet in Barangay Booy, Tagbilaran, was about to remit her collection on Saturday when she was told by her coordinator to return the money to the bettors due to the directive of President Duterte.

A lotto outlet in Barangay Cogon in Tagbilaran City was closed on Saturday, July 27, after President Rodrigo Duterte declared all PCSO gaming illegal. Leo Udtohan/Inquirer Visayas

In his video message aired via the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) on Friday night, President Duterte said he was doing this due to the corruption in the PCSO.

“Pending investigation, lahat po ng laro ng lotto, STL, Peryahan ng Bayan, or whatever nature. There’s one at that, yung gambling machine … I said all gaming activities in gambling that got their franchise from government thru PCSO are, as of today, suspended or terminated because of massive corruption,” the President explained.

President Duterte also nullified all the gaming permits issued by PCSO.

He added that these permits were granted “in favor of corruption” and “some large corporations.”

A PCSO lotto outlet, which had been operating since 1999, is closed on Saturday July 27, after President Duterte declared all Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) gaming illegal. Leo Udtohan/Inquirer Visayas

The President also told the courts in the country that he would not honor any “desire” to stop them from going into massive investigations on the “massive corruption” in the PCSO.

He also instructed the Philippine National Police and the Armed Forces of the Philippines to arrest people engaged in gambling activities in connection with the franchises and licenses issued by PCSO. /lb

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bohol, corruption, gaming operations, Local news, lotto, PCSO, Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office, Philippine news updates, President Duterte, Small Town Lottery, STL, Tagbilaran City
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.