Close  

Dengue outbreak declared in Cavite

Province now under state of calamity as cases reach 4,225 with 22 deaths
/ 05:18 AM July 24, 2019
Dengue outbreak declared in Cavite

PESKY, DEADLY INSECT An antidengue mural at San Lazaro Hospital in Manila reminds people about the government’s fight against disease-carrying mosquitoes. Recently, the Department of Health declared a national alert due to the increasing cases of dengue. —MARIANNE BERMUDEZ

SAN PEDRO CITY, Laguna, Philippines — The provincial health office in Cavite is proposing a year-round, government-led “search and destroy” campaign targeting breeding areas of mosquitoes, amid an outbreak of dengue in the province.

Cavite, home to more than 3.6 million people, has recorded 4,225 suspected and confirmed dengue cases from Jan. 1, posting the highest number of patients in Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) region.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last week, the provincial government, led by Gov. Juanito Victor Remulla, placed the province under a state of calamity to expedite the release of funds for the purchase of blood supply, intravenous fluids, diagnostic kits and other medical supplies for patients.

Outbreak

FEATURED STORIES

Twenty-two people had died in Cavite, the most recent a 32-year-old man from Dasmariñas City, said provincial health officer Nelson Soriano in a telephone interview on Tuesday.

According to Soriano, between 15 and 20 people daily are being confined at General Emilio Aguinaldo Memorial Hospital, the provincial hospital in Trece Martires City, leaving some patients with “no choice but to stay on the hallways.”

“You know what the problem is? This seems to be happening every year, as if people are not taking it seriously. That’s why we’re proposing to the provincial [board] to issue a resolution to make ‘search and destroy’ year-round and not only when there’s an outbreak,” he said.

Dengue outbreak declared in Cavite

SEEK AND DESTROY Conducting fogging or misting in areas where mosquitoes breed is among the methods that local governments are using to stop the spread of dengue. —MICHAEL B. JAUCIAN

Cavite has declared a dengue outbreak, with nine cities and towns identified as “hot spots” of the mosquito-borne disease.

The last time health officials declared an outbreak in Cavite was in 2015, when dengue claimed 48 lives.

Biggest cases

In an emailed report, the regional Department of Health (DOH), also on Tuesday, said the number of cases had reached 14,925. Fifty-four people, mostly male, have died in the region, it added.

ADVERTISEMENT

The DOH said Dasmariñas posted the highest number of cases among cities in the region with 913, followed by Calamba City in Laguna province with 661 and Lipa City in Batangas province with 617. Batangas City recorded 533 cases; Antipolo City in Rizal province, 483; Cabuyao City in Laguna, 426; Bacoor City in Cavite, 419; Tanauan City in Batangas, 394; Sta. Rosa City in Laguna, 389; and General Trias in Cavite, 385.

Soriano said the only way to stop the outbreak was for local governments to strengthen their solid waste and environmental management programs. He also urged local officials to improve water supply in their communities to prevent households from keeping water in containers for extended periods because these would only turn into breeding grounds of mosquitoes.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cavite, Dengue outbreak, State of Calamity
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.