No speaker race coup on Duterte’s SONA, solon says
MANILA, Philippines – There will be no coup d’etat in the race for House speaker on President Rodrigo Duterte’s fourth State of the Nation Address (SONA) on Monday, Anakalusugan party-list Rep. Mike Defensor said.
“I don’t think so. I don’t think there will be a coup. I think everyone respects the pronouncement of the President and since last week, they’re fixing the organization of the House,” Defensor said Wednesday in an interview over ABS-CBN News Channel.
Last year, former speaker Pantaleon Alvarez was unseated and replaced by former president and then Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.
Defensor said the contenders for speaker accepted the President’s announcement of a term-sharing pact between Taguig Rep. Alan Peter Cayetano and Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco.
“Even before, when we were asking the President to announce who his candidate is for the speakership, the three camps have already accepted the announcement of the president that it would be Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano and that after 15 months, it will be Congressman Lord Allan Velasco,” Defensor said.
“Congressman Martin Romualdez will be serving the entire term of three years as majority floor leader. So yes, it’s accepted. And everyone is helping out in the organization of the House,” he added.
Last week, Duterte announced the term-sharing plan between Cayetano and Velasco.
“I think it’s about time I talk. So your Speaker will be Alan Peter Cayetano. Ang sharing dito is he shares the term with Lord Velasco. And si Romualdez will be the Majority Floor Leader,” Duterte said. /gsg
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.