News Briefs: July 17, 2019
Bird strike forces CebuPac plane to return to Naia 3
MANILA, Philippines — A Cebu Pacific flight bound for Cagayan de Oro City was forced to return due to a bird strike shortly after takeoff from Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 on Tuesday.
Cebu Pacific spokesperson Charo Lagamon said all passengers of flight 5J381, including lawyer Harry Roque, were safe.
The incident occurred about three minutes after the flight took off at 3:45 a.m.
“There was a delay in takeoff, then an explosion of sorts, smell of smoke and flight now returning to Manila,” Roque posted on his Facebook account.
Lagamon said the pilot of the aircraft, an Airbus 320, decided to turn back, landing at 4:17 a.m.
The passengers were transferred to a new aircraft which took off at 7:19 a.m. and landed at Laguindingan Airport in Cagayan de Oro at 8:39 a.m. —Jereme Aning
Gov’t eases flight restrictions to Kalibo, Caticlan
MANILA, Philippines — The government has ordered the immediate easing of flight restrictions to Boracay Island gateways Kalibo International Airport and Caticlan Airport.
This comes a month after the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) ordered a moratorium on all new and additional scheduled and charter flights to these airports to avoid overcrowding in Boracay, which was closed down and rehabilitated for six months last year.
In a resolution on June 15, the CAB said carriers with scheduled flights would be allowed to maintain their schedules without reduction for the rest of the International Air Transport Association summer season.
They are restricted, however, from mounting additional flights.
Meanwhile, charter flights will again be allowed at Kalibo and Caticlan airports, subject to certain conditions.
However, aircraft with more than a 200-seat capacity will not be allowed. —Miguel R. Camus
Año urges support for BARMM
MANILA, Philippines — Interior Secretary Eduardo Año urged towns and cities in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) to fully support the interim regional government because its failure was not an option.
“We cannot afford to fail in the BARMM because this does not only represent the long years of struggle of Muslim Filipinos for meaningful autonomy but this is also a rare chance for the long forsaken and embattled region to start a new chapter in their history,” Año said on Tuesday.
He called on local government units in the BARMM to back the interim regional government under chief minister Murad Ebrahim and “take actions that would open doors for unity and harmony among our people.”
The BARMM is composed of the provinces of Basilan, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi; Cotabato City, and 63 North Cotabato barangays. —Jeannette I. Andrade
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.