Classes suspended in 3 Surigao Sur towns due to July 13 quake
MADRID, SURIGAO DEL SUR –– Classes have been suspended in three towns of Surigao del Sur following reports of damaged school buildings as a result of the 5.5-magnitude quake that struck off Carrascal town on Saturday, July 13.
The announcement was relayed over local radio by the respective local governments of Cantilan, Madrid, and Carmen towns.
Although the class suspension was for Monday, July 15, there is a high likelihood it would continue some more days due to the reported damage to several school buildings in the said towns.
Personnel from the local disaster risk reduction and management offices (LDRRMOs) have scoured the barangays to do an inspection on school buildings.
Meanwhile, Liza R. Mazo, regional director of the Office of Civil Defense in Caraga, ordered all LDRRMOs to evacuate residents who have damaged houses to ensure their safety.
Mazo said she had been receiving reports that residents were staying in several of the houses damaged during Saturday’s magnitude 5.5 earthquake because they have nowhere to go.
“The fact that there is a crack, or their walls and other parts of the house has collapsed or gave way to gravity, it is not safe to stay. It is dangerous for them to stay and spend the night inside those houses as aftershocks continue to hit the area,” said Mazo. /lzb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.