Upcoming Metro Manila shake drill aims to be ’realistic’
MANILA, Philippines — The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Saturday said it would aim for a “realistic” scenario on the next earthquake drill.
“We want to simulate how long it will take for all concerned agencies and units to get to designated emergency operations center and staging areas,” MMDA chief of staff Michael Salalima said in a statement.
MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia previously announced that the next earthquake drill would happen in the early hours of July 27.
“For the first time, agency personnel and response teams will not come from the office but from their homes in wee hours,” Salalima stated.
The next earthquake drill will start at 4 a.m., with Garcia and MMDA Chairman Danilo Lim pushing a ceremonial button at the MMDA headquarters in Makati.
Meanwhile, the public will receive notifications like alarms through their cellphones buildings and from their respective local government units.
The MMDA said it would also coordinate with the National Telecommunications Commission, Globe and Smart to send text messages informing the public about the start of the drill.
“We requested the participation of Manila Water, Maynilad, Meralco, Globe and Smart to provide us a semblance of close to life scenarios to be staged for the drill,” Salalima added.
On that day, Garcia and other MMDA officials will make rounds where scenarios will be staged.
Metro Manila has been divided into four quadrants with their own staging areas:
- Northern Quadrant: Veterans Memorial Medical Center Golf Course
- Western Quadrant: Intramuros Golf Course.
- Eastern Quadrant: LRT 2 Santolan Depot
- Southern Quadrant: Villamor Golf Course
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.