Close  

DILG to file raps vs Cebu City’s ex-mayor for taking away office fixtures

/ 11:52 AM July 05, 2019
DILG to file raps vs Cebu City’s ex-mayor for taking away office fixtures

ALL GONE Former Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña ordered the removal of tiles, ceiling and other office furniture in his office before turning them over to Mayor Edgardo Labella. JUNJIE MENDOZA

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) said Friday it will file administrative cases against former Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña for allegedly stripping his office of fixtures as he left the city hall after losing the election in May.

“Yesterday (Thursday), the Secretary said we will definitely file cases, but we will determine [which cases],” DILG Undersecretary and Spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said in a press briefing, referring to Interior Secretary Eduardo Año.

ADVERTISEMENT

Osmeña, whose term ended on June 30, took all the fixtures in the Office of the City Mayor, including the ceiling and floor tiles, before turning it over to newly-elected Mayor Edgardo Labella.

READ: Cebu City mayor Tomas Osmeña strips office of fixtures as he leaves post

FEATURED STORIES

He said he “had to spend for everything,” or about P2 million to renovate his office in 2010 since the city council, which was then headed by Labella, rejected his request for funds.

“I decided to remove everything so he (Labella) would know what it feels like,” Osmeña earlier said in a radio interview.

Malaya said DILG is only awaiting the report of its regional office in Central Visayas to identify what cases can be filed against Osmeña.

He also said Año had ordered the legal department of DILG to complete its investigation on the matter but said the agency had already decided to file cases even before the end of the probe because “obviously, something wrong happened.”

“I just want to relay that we are saddened by what happened that we decided to file legal cases against the mayor,” he said.

He likewise said Osmeña’s action was not a good example to other mayors.

“We are saddened and alarmed by this development. It does not serve as a good example to other local chief executives if they will do the same,” Malaya said.

ADVERTISEMENT

He then explained that if it is true that the fixtures were brought through Osmeña’s own pocket, then the former mayor should have filed for reimbursement, which, according to Malaya, would have been “very easy” for him since he was the mayor. (Editor: Katherine G. Adraneda)

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cebu City, DILG, Jonathan Malaya, local government, Local news, Nation, national news, news, Philippine news updates, Politics, Tomas Osmeña
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.