Close  

Bicam panel OKs giving 100 percent service tip to workers 

By: - Reporter / @MAgerINQ
/ 01:39 PM May 28, 2019
Bicam panel OKs giving 100 percent service tip to workers 

Sen. Joel Villanueva. FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — The congressional bicameral committee  approved on Tuesday a bill that would allow employees in hotels and other establishments to fully enjoy  the service charges they collect from customers.

“After more than 40 years yung kasaysayan natin from the presidential decree in 74, 75,  ngayon  yung service charge ay 100 percent na na mapupunta sa ating mga workers,” Senator Joel Villanueva told reporters after the bicam meeting at the Senate.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We’re able to thresh out the difference between the versions of the House  and the Senate,” added Villanueva, chair of the Senate committee on labor.

At present, he said, only 85 percent of the collected services charges  are given to employees while the management gets the remaining 15 percent.

Villanueva said the House of Representatives’ version of the bill provides that 90 percent of the service charges be given to employees while the remaining 10 percent would still go to the management.

In the Senate, however, its bill mandates that 100 percent service  charges collected should go to employees.

Villanueva said the House agreed with the Senate version.

“Maraming mga datos tayo, maramign mga survey, maraming mga complaints, even establishments sa Quezon City, baligtad pa nga ang nangyayari, 15 percent yung nakukuha nung mga waiters, tapos 75 percent nakukua ng management,” he said.

“Ito ay mawawakasan ngayong araw na ito at dito sa napagkasunduan  ng both houses  ay 100 percent ibigay ito sa ating mga  mamngagawa, sa ating ranking file and supervisory level,” the senator added.

Villanueva said he expects the Senate to ratify the measure later in the day.

After approval in the bicam, the measure will be sent back to the Senate and the House for ratification before it is transmitted to the President for  signature. (Editor: Jonathan P. Vicente)

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Senate OKs bill on service tip for resto, hotel workers on final reading

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bicam, Labor, Local news, Philippine news update, service tip
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.