Charge Cardema, Palace tells DOJ
MANILA, Philippines — At Malacañang’s behest, the Department of Justice (DOJ) will consider filing charges against former National Youth Commission (NYC) chair Ronald Cardema, who abruptly resigned to become a nominee of the Duterte Youth party list group.
Cardema filed on May 12 a petition for substitution in the Commission on Elections, seeking to replace his wife, Ducielle, as Duterte Youth’s first nominee.
‘No allies, no friends’
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said on Tuesday that presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo had asked the DOJ to look into the possibility of bringing Cardema to court, with charges to depend on “relevant facts.”
Malacañang said it received information that Cardema presided over an official NYC meeting on May 15 even if he had already filed a petition for substitution and was considered resigned from his post.
In a press briefing, Panelo said “no allies, no friends, no supporters [of President Duterte] if they committed any wrong will be tolerated by this government.”
The DOJ’s inquiry, Panelo said, would also look into allegations that Cardema had used his position as NYC chair to campaign for Duterte Youth.
The Palace said it was not informed about Cardema’s plans to become a party list representative and only learned about his petition for substitution in media reports.
The original five nominees of the Duterte Youth may also face charges for resigning as nominees to give way to Cardema.
The original five nominees of Duterte Youth are Cardema’s wife, Ducielle Marie Suarez, Joseph de Guzman, Benilda de Guzman, Arnaldo Villafranca and Elizabeth Anne Cardema.—With a report from Marlon Ramos
See the bigger picture with the Inquirer's live in-depth coverage of the election here https://inq.ph/Election2019
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.