Duterte makes first public appearance after weeklong absence
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte made his first appearance on Tuesday after a weeklong absence from the public eye.
Duterte welcomed Thailand Ambassador to the Philippines Vasin Ruangprateepsaeng in Malacañang during his presentation of credentials.
Speculations surfaced that Duterte was seriously ill after he was out of the public eye for a week.
Duterte was last seen in public on May 13 when he cast his vote in Davao City. Since then, he has had no public events.
Malacañang officials have said there was nothing wrong with Duterte.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Duterte was “strong” and “upbeat.”
Duterte’s absences in the past have sparked rumors about his deteriorating health.
The 74-year-old chief executive earlier admitted that he suffers from Buerger’s disease, migraine, and back pains reportedly caused by smoking during his youth.
He also revealed that he had colonoscopy and endoscopy and that he has been undergoing regular blood tests. (Editor: Eden Estopace)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.