Marcos Highway Bridge to be closed for repair – MMDA
MANILA, Philippines — A portion of the Marcos Highway Bridge in Marikina City will be closed for at least four months to undergo a “total rehabilitation” which starts on Saturday, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced Tuesday.
MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia said the Antipolo-bound section of the bridge will be closed beginning 11 p.m. Saturday.
According to Garcia, Marcos Highway Bridge is already more than 30 years old, and is “overdue” for rehabilitation.
“Lahat, as in total rehab. Papalitan lahat, ‘yung pinaka-semento niya, ‘yung sidewalk niya, lahat ‘yan papalitan,” Garcia said in a press conference.
“I think this bridge is more than 30 years, early 80s ‘yan,” he added.
According to Garcia, the total cost for the bridge’s eastbound section rehabilitation would cost P150 million.
With the impending bridge closure, Garcia said vehicles going to Antipolo could take the westbound direction while vehicles to Cubao in Quezon City could use the service road in front of SM Marikina Mall.
Consequently, Garcia announced the adjustment of truck ban schedule in the area to somehow ease traffic flow for other motorists.
Garcia said truck ban schedule in that area will now be from 6 a.m.
“So ngayon ang medyo challenge satin diyan, ang truck ban kasi is from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m, eh alam naman natin ‘yung mga galing Marikina, Antipolo, Rizal, Cainta, Pasig, lumalabas diyan eh, talagang sobra-sobrang abala napunta sa kanila,” Garcia said.
“So I’m extending the truck ban instead from 7 a.m., gawin nating 6 a.m. para at least ‘yung mga taga-Marikina makadaan diyan nang walang nakaka-abalang nag-u-U-Turn na truck,” he added.
After the rehabilitation of Marcos Highway Bridge’s eastbound section, private contractors would begin rehabilitation on the opposite direction, according to the MMDA official.
Garcia said at least 3,000 vehicles are passing through the bridge every hour.
Affected motorists are urged to take the following alternative routes:
Cubao to Antipolo Route
- From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then A Boni Flyover, straight ahead Sumulong Highway to Antipolo
- From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd. then right turn to Katipunan Ave, left turn to Boni Serrano and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
- From Cubao, right turn to 15th avenue, then left turn to Boni Serrano, take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo
Trucks from Cubao to Antipolo Route
- From Cubao, take Aurora Blvd, then Right Turn to Katipunan Avenue and left Turn to Boni Serrano then U-Turn to C-5 Road, straight to FVR Road take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo
Antipolo To Cubao Routes
- From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway then A. Bonifacio Avenue Straight Ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao
- From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway and right turn to Fernando Ave, then take Bonifacio Ave. straight ahead Aurora Blvd. to Cubao
- From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then FVR Road, right turn to Katipunan Avenue, left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead to Cubao
- From Antipolo, Take Marcos Highway Then FVR Road straight ahead take Boni Serrano Ave., then right turn to 20th Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd. to Cubao
Trucks From Antipolo To Cubao Route
- From Antipolo, Take Marcos Highway then FVR Road Straight Ahead, right turn to Katipunan Ave., left turn to Aurora Blvd. straight ahead To Cubao
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.