PNP hoping for zero casualty in Eastern Samar quake
MANILA, Philippines — Authorities are hoping that there will be no casualties in the new quake that hit the southern section of the country Tuesday.
Philippine National Police Chief Oscar Albayalde said his office had not received an update yet on the magnitude 6.5 magnitude quake that jolted parts of Leyte and Samar as well as cities in Region V and the Bicol Region.
“Wala pang report yung mga iba’t ibang stations natin (We haven’t received reports from our stations). They’re still consolidating the different reports from the different stations as of this time,” Albayalde told reporters.
“Hopefully, walang nadisgrasya doon (Hopefully, there will be no casualties or injuries),” he added.
So far, the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) said that no damage had been reported yet as of 4 p.m.
Albayalde issued the statement on the sidelines of the retrieval operations at Chuzon supermarket in Porac, Pampanga where five individuals were killed.
The supermarket collapsed after the magnitude 6.1 earthquake hit parts of Luzon Monday.
Retrieval operations are still ongoing as of posting time. /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.