Close  

Prince Harry, Meghan to move to Africa?

/ 05:59 PM April 22, 2019

Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan could be living away from the United Kingdom in the next few years.

Advisers are reportedly making plans to develop “bespoke” roles for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex that involve charity work and promoting Britain abroad, as per The Sunday Times via E! News on Sunday, April 21.

ADVERTISEMENT

Prince Harry, Meghan

In this Monday, March 11, 2019 file photo, Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex leave after the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey in London. Image: AP/Frank Augstein

A decision is likely to be made in 2020 and the international post could last for up to three years.

Behind the plan is Sir David Manning, Prince William and Prince Harry’s special adviser on constitutional and international affairs.

Plans to move the couple to Australia and Canada were reportedly turned down. “The trouble is that you effectively set them up as king and queen of a whole separate country,” a Palace source told The Sunday Times.

Canada has already been home to Meghan for years when she filmed the TV show “Suits”; privacy is seen as an issue due to its proximity to U.S. media. 

A proposal was made for a move to Africa following the rejected plans. Africa is meaningful to Harry as he lived in Lesotho in 2004 for his gap year and set up a charity in Botswana back in 2006.

Botswana is also where Harry took Meghan on one of their first dates—and reportedly where he has taken previous girlfriends, as per Andrew Morton’s book “Meghan: A Hollywood Princess”.

Responding to the rumors, Buckingham Palace was quoted on Twitter by royal correspondent Richard Palmer April 21: ”Any future plans for the Duke and Duchess are speculative at this stage. No decisions have been taken about future roles. The Duke will continue to fulfill his role as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador.”

Royal rift?

A move abroad may not just be about harnessing Harry and Meghan’s “rock star” status and “soft power abilities.” It could be to further distance the couple from Prince William, who is being primed to be king.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’ move to Frogmore Cottage in Windsor earlier this month is supposedly to “control” the two as an “enterprise,” with the hope that it will keep the spotlight away from them, a Sunday Times source close to the Sussexes said.

“Meghan and Harry feel they have been cut adrift,” said the source.

The split of households has brought speculations that there is a rift between the brothers and their wives.

Sources have previously told other news outlets that Meghan and Harry’s move away from Kensington Palace is for more privacy as they raise a child, and for Harry to seek new duties with Meghan apart from William and Kate. Niña V. Guno/JB

RELATED STORIES:

Kensington Palace denies clash between Meghan Markle, Kate Middleton—report

Meghan’s baby to test royal appetite for reform

Prince William delves into UK’s secretive spy world

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Africa, British Royal family, Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, Prince William
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.